Borrowing from the library
About your library card
As a MIT student or staff member, your MIT ID card is your library card.
If you are a new staff member, you will need to register as a borrower before borrowing. Ask at the Loans Desk or contact us.
Students using another student ID card will be in breach of MIT policy. Students attempting this will have both ID cards confiscated.
How to borrow
At Melbourne and Sydney campus take your items and your library/ID card to the Loans Desk. You may not borrow books for other students or by using another ID
How many items can I borrow?
Post Graduate /Masters 10 items
Undergraduate 7 items
Diploma 6 items
Staff Only lecturers and tutors can borrow from Teaching Resources Collection
Academic staff As required
Administration staff 3 items
Where to return borrowed items
When the library is open, you can return items through the return chute while the campus is open.
Renewing an item so you can keep it longer
If the items you borrowed are due for return and you wish to keep them for longer, you can renew them:
- online using borrower information on the library catalogue
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information
- ID number
- Title and edition of book
- Barcode on front of book.
You can renew an item three times unless it has been reserved
You will not be able to renew an item if:
- the item has been requested by someone else
- you have outstanding fines of $10 or more
- any other item you have on loan is overdue*
- you have already renewed the item the maximum number of times
- student library privileges have been suspended for any reason.
* You cannot renew overdue items online, however a email renewal may be possible.