Graduation Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply for graduation?
- What do I do if I am not sure about the course I have studied?
- What Academic Dress should I get if I have studied a Diploma as well as a Masters degree?
- Is there a difference between a Bachelor’s gown and Master’s gown?
- Can I wear my own gown?
- Where should I return my Academic Dress?
- When should I return my Academic Dress?
- How can I pay?
- Can I pay for my Academic Dress at the time of collection?
- Do you accept cash?
- What graduation services are available on the day?
- What time do I need to arrive at the venue?
- Will there be a Practice?
- When will my family and friends be able to enter the room the ceremony will be held in?
- When should I have my photographs taken?
- Can I have a family member or friend take photos during the ceremony?
- Where can I park on the day of the graduation ceremony?
- Is the graduation ceremony venue accessible by public transport?
- Will any food be served at the ceremony?
- What should I wear under the gown?
Please contact Ms. Lin Zhan in the Enrolments Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 03 8600 6700.
Generally students would choose to wear the highest level of study. If you are unsure, feel free to talk to the Client Services Team on level 11 at 388 Lonsdale St Melbourne 3000.
Yes, there may be a difference in the items required - refer to the information on the Application Form
Generally students are asked to hire or purchase the gown and would not wear their own gown.
If you feel that your gown is the same as the ones used at the MIT Ceremony, please check with the Student Services Officer for confirmation on level 11, 388 Lonsdale St Melbourne VIC 3000.
Gowns will be picked up and returned to an allocated area at the Graduation Ceremony Venue on the day of the Ceremony.
All students are required to present their receipt when picking up their gowns which should be done at least 45 minutes to 1 hour prior to the ceremony.
Each student will be allocated a gown which will have a name slip attached to it. Gowns must be returned to the same location no later than 45 minutes after the conclusion of the ceremony and the slip returned with the gown.
All students in the ceremony are required to sign in when picking up the gown and sign out when the gown is returned. Students must remember to return the slip with their gown when returning the gown at the end of the ceremony.
Academic Dress must be returned no later than 45 minutes after the completion of your graduation ceremony. Penalties apply for any late returns.
Payments can be made in person at the Finance Counter located at Level 11/388 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.
No, you are required to pay in advance and present a receipt on collection of the regalia.
Yes, you can make cash payments at the Finance Counter located at Level 11/388 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.
There are a number of services available on the day:
- Students will be assisted in gowning by allocated staff.
- Students will have the option of having professional photos taken by professional photographers, who will be available for up to an hour and a half prior to the official start time of the ceremony and an hour after the conclusion of the ceremony
- The professional photographers will also take individual photos of each conferring of degree which can be purchased
- A Video of the Ceremony will also be taken on the day
Please refer to the MIT graduation information page for further information.
The Mayfair Ballroom, Grand Hyatt Hotel
123 Collins Street, Melbourne
Students are asked to pick up thier robes 1.5 hours prior to the commencement of the ceremony. The official ceremony will commence at 2:30pm and therefore we recommend that you arrive between 1:00pm and 1:30pm
Students will need to be seated by 1:45pm on the day as they will be asked to have a practice run and be given some specific instructions.
Invited Family and friends will be allowed entry and be guided by MIT staff to the seating area from 2:10pm and should stay seated once they enter. We do not recommend taking small children to the ceremony as it can be quite tiresome for them to stay still and quiet for long periods.
For your convenience, you are encouraged to have your photographs taken before the ceremony, immediately after you are gowned. Choosing to have your photographs taken after the ceremony may result in long delays.
Graduands must check in at the photographer's reception desks to have their portraits taken.
Photos cannot be taken during the ceremony as it is very distracting. We recommend that if a friend or family wants photos that you either have professional ones taken at the venue (see information above) or that they take photos outside the Ballroom before or after the ceremony. The Official Party will also return to the ceremonial rooms for 10 minutes after the ceremony is finished for students wishing to take photos with them.
The venue has their own parking facilities which can be available at the student's cost. There is also ample public/commercial parking available around the graduation venue.
Yes, the graduation venue is in the Melbourne CBD. The CBD is well serviced by Public transport. The closest train station to the venue is Parliament Station. For more specific timetables and trains available refer to www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au
MIT provides all graduates and invited guests with light refreshments after the graduation ceremony.
As the gowns offer some measure of warmth, it is highly recommended that you keep this in mind when choosing what you are going to wear to your graduation ceremony.
As this is an auspicious event, Business or semi formal attire is required. We recommend that male students wear a suit and tie and that female students wear attire that is suitable for a special occasion. Casual wear is not allowed.