- Study with us
- Federation University at MIT
- About us
Cover Letter Writing
A cover letter accompanies the application with your resume as an introductory letter. It provides a brief explanation of who you are and the reasons why you are writing to them. It provides the opportunity to share important information to a prospective employer. Remember, the cover letter is generally between half and one page long.
Some tips for cover letter writing include:
- Use clear formatting;
- Have particular attention to spelling and grammar;
- Noting the position, you have applied for and where you saw it advertised;
- Provide information about your qualifications and work or volunteer experiences;
- Discuss your skills and knowledge gained from previous employment;
- Using dot points can help to highlight positive attributes;
- Make sure you tailor your cover letter appropriately for each application, and
- Include essential or desirable skills mentioned in the advertised position description.
Please login to AMS to view Cover Letter templates under the Career Development tab.