1. PURPOSE OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
The purpose of Melbourne Institute of Technology (MIT)’s Academic Achievement Scholarship is to attract outstanding students and to encourage and nurture continuous development of talent in the field of Business and Information Technology and Engineering. The scholarship is awarded on merit basis and is available each trimester
2. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
2.1 To be eligible to receive and retain an MIT Academic Achievement Scholarship (Scholarship) the applicant must:
- Be an international student enrolled as a full time student in the trimester to which the benefit would apply;
- Have achieved an average overall percentage of 75.0% or more, with no individual result below 70.0% in the preceding trimester and have no fail grades recorded (no exceptions will be considered);
- Have IELTS (academic) result with an overall score of 7.0 with no band less than 6.5. Documentary evidence of a current (test date within two years of date of application) IELTS certification must accompany the application;
- Have completed at least (a minimum) of two trimesters full-time as per course requirements of the program at MIT;
- Have a minimum attendance record of 80% in all scheduled classes;
- Student submission – Each application must be accompanied by a 500-800 words essay outlining why receipt of the scholarship is important;
- Have made the fee payment for the subsequent trimester’s full-time enrolment.
- Not be sponsored by other organisations or governments;
- Have submitted a completed application form before the closing date; and
- Have maintained enrolment in the course in which they commenced.
3. PROCESSING OF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
3.1 All applicants who satisfy the eligibility criteria shall be interviewed. Such an interview serves two purposes. First, to verify the information provided by applicants. Secondly, to allow for a verbal communication assessment of the applicant. Effective and easily understood verbal communication/public speaking is vital to be considered an all-round MIT scholar. Applicants who do not meet the criteria at the interview stage will not be considered further.
3.2 Scoring/ Rating of Applicants
- Applicants who pass the interview process will be rated using a scoring method. The scoring method will be determined by the MIT Scholarships’ Committee and approved by the Executive Management Committee (EMT). EMT shall review the scoring method annually.
- Applications will be ranked by score and scholarships awarded according to a strict order of merit. When scores are the same and there are insufficient scholarships the Scholarship Committee will determine allocation on merit.
3.3 All applications will be considered by the Scholarships Committee.
Note: Students previously ineligible for this scholarship do not automatically become eligible as a consequence of any individual result being amended as the outcome of an appeal or review.
There is no right of appeal should an applicant be unsuccessful in securing a scholarship.
4. VALUE AND BENEFITS
4.1 Successful applicants who are awarded a scholarship will receive a one-off payment equivalent to 30% of the tuition fee for the trimester in which the student is enrolled.
4.2 A maximum of 5 scholarships in each School will be awarded for each trimester.
5. NO TRANSFER PRIVILEGE
The Scholarships are campus specific and therefore not transferable to another campus of the Institute.
The Scholarships are available to students who have not received any other financial consideration from the institute such as a discount on their tuition fee etc..
6. ELIGIBLE PROGRAMS
The Scholarships are available for eligible students enrolled in the following MIT programs only:
Bachelor of Business
Bachelor of Networking
Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Telecommunications)
Bachelor of Data Analytics
Master of Professional Accounting
Master of Networking
Master of Engineering (Telecommunications)
Master of Business Analytics
7. APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicants will be required to complete the Scholarship Form
in addition to the normal program Application Form.
7.2 Applications will only be considered if the applicant fulfils ALL the eligibility criteria (as stated above); submits the application before the closing date; and has made the fee payment for the subsequent trimester full-time enrolment.
7.3 The same process must be repeated for any subsequent trimester scholarship application for renewal (where applicable).
8. CLOSING DATES
Applications must be lodged by 4.30pm on the Friday of the week immediately before the classes start in the subsequent trimester.
All scholars who receive an official offer of a scholarship from the Institute will receive a bank cheque for the value of the Scholarship.
10. CODE OF STUDENT CONDUCT
To maintain eligibility for the Scholarship during the academic year, students must be enrolled as a MIT student during the academic year and be in good academic standing at the Institute. As a scholar, you are a member of the Institute community and are expected to comply with all laws, Institute’s policies, campus regulations and conducting yourself in ways that support a scholarly environment. During the tenure of your Scholarship, you must agree to be guided by the MIT Campus Code of Student Conduct which can be downloaded at www.mit.edu.au/files/documents/MIT_melb_students_handbook.pdf
11. INTERPRETATION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
11.1 The scholarship terms and conditions are as stated herein and MIT will not accept any inferred interpretation not contained herein.
11.2 For fair administration of the Scholarships, communication between the scholarship applicants and MIT must be in writing and addressed to the Chair, Scholarship Committee.
11.3 Communication that is conducted through channels other than those stated in item 11.2 above shall be deemed as invalid and will not be condsidered.
12. SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Chair – Group General Manager
Members – Head of School Business, Head of School Information Technology & Engineering and the Executive Dean
Last updated: August 30, 2021
Date of Review: March 23, 2023