- Study with us
- Federation University at MIT
- About us
- MIT News
- Official Opening of the Argus MIT Melbourne
- Soft skills will make all the difference
- RBA cuts interest rates Tuesday June 4
- MIT Engineering Student receives ITNAC Grant for Industry Project
- How do recent graduates and current students rate the MIT Telecoms Engineering undergraduate course?
- How do recent graduates and current students rate the MIT Business and Management undergraduate courses
- Capitalising on trends is a smart tactic
- A/Prof. Tony Jan, IEEE WCCI Chair 2020
- A/Prof Tony Jan’s cyber security tips
- Be Digital Disruption Ready
White Ribbon message from the CEO
To the staff and Students of MIT
White Ribbon (WR) is Australia’s only national male-led violence prevention organisation. WR work to examine the root causes of gender-based violence challenge behaviours and create a cultural shift that leads us to a future without men’s violence against women.
This is a global movement, which aims to create a society in which all women can live in safety, free from violence and abuse. Be aware that over 12 months, on average, one woman is killed every week in Australia because of intimate partner violence. Think about the women in your lives - your mother, sister, daughter or friend and think how you would cope if domestic violence happened to them.
Domestic and family violence is not just a private or personal issue, but also has impacts in the workplace. Family violence can result in increased sick leave usage and stress, decreased productivity and high employee turnover. It can also affect co-workers in various ways.
Our action of building an environment where this type of behaviour is challenged and not tolerated in the right thing to occur. We can make a difference. Violence occurs because the perpetrator believe that the abuse is justified and acceptable, whether it is physical, mental, emotional, financial or sexual in nature. Victims of such abuse often feel trapped, isolated, scared and silent. We can be their voice. We can make a difference.
I will do all in my power to encourage you all to embrace the message of White Ribbon. I am committed to break the silence around domestic violence against women.