Important information for International students

Applying for a student visa

As a prospective international student applying to study in Australia, you are required to obtain a student visa before travelling to Australia. Student visas are issued by the Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA). There are a number of specific requirements that must be met before a student visa can be issued. These requirements vary, depending on your nationality, and the level/type of study you intend to undertake.

For further assistance or information regarding student visa, visit the DHA website at You may also seek assistance from an Australian Diplomatic Mission or an MIT authorised representative, in your home country.

Student visa conditions

Whilst studying in Australia your visa is subject to a number of visa conditions that you much comply with. It is your responsibility as a visa holder to be aware of these conditions. For detailed information on student visa conditions, please visit the DHA website at

Overseas Student Health Cover

The Australian government requires all student visa holders, and any dependants accompanying them, to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their study in Australia. The health cover provides for medical and hospital care within Australia from the date of your arrival until the end of your studies in Australia. In case of an accident or illness (pre-existing illness or disease may not be covered), you will be able to redeem some, or all of your medical costs.

MIT will arrange your initial OSHC membership through Allianz Global Assistance. Your Letter of Offer will detail the OSHC fees you are required to pay. Payment must be made prior to entering Australia, and you are responsible for renewing your membership when required.

Work opportunities

As an International student, you are permitted to engage in paid employment for up to 20 hours per-week, during course study periods, and full-time during scheduled course breaks. However, it should be kept in mind that work may not be readily available, and you should not rely on this form of income to support your study and living costs.

Bringing your family to Australia

Most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants (check your individual circumstances with the Department of Home Affairs (See: Arranging Visas). Family members include your spouse, and you and your spouse’s dependent children. Before bringing your spouse or children to Australia, you will have to prove that you can support them financially. The cost of supporting a family in Australia is very high. You may have to consider and discuss many issues with your family.
For detail information Click here

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)

The Department of Education regulates the ESOS Act; a legal framework that governs the responsibility of education institutions towards overseas students. The legislation ensures quality education and consumer protection for students studying in Australia on a student visa. For a brief overview of the ESOS Framework, including your rights and responsibilities as an overseas student, click here.

Completion within Expected Duration of Study

International students are required to complete their course within expected completion duration specified on their Conformation of Enrolment (CoE). This means students are required to study full-time in each compulsory semester to complete studies within the expected duration of study. Students may be allowed to extend course duration or reduce study-load under limited circumstances. These include:

  • Where MIT is unable to offer a pre-requisite unit;
  • Where a student is identified as being 'at risk' of not meeting satisfactory course requirement;
  • Where a student is approved to take a leave of absence within MIT's policies.

Please contact Admissions and Enrolments for further information.

For further information regarding Completion within Expected Duration of Study, please go to the Australian Government Australian Education International (AEI) website.

Deferring, suspending and cancelling enrolments

MIT is obliged to notify Department of Education of any changes to your enrolment. This may affect your student visa. You are required to contact the DHA for advice on how a change to your enrolment status may affect your student visa. For detailed information about the grounds on which your enrolment may be deferred, suspended, or cancelled, see MIT Enrolment Policy and Procedure

MIT Terms and Conditions of Enrolment and Refund Policy

Information regarding MIT’s Terms and Conditions of Enrolment and Refund Policy is published on our website here.